Sunday, May 04, 2008

New Faith

Heaven Without Her by Kitty Foth-Regner is a book I found recently at our local library. It's a memoir of "a desperate daughter's search for the heart of her mother's faith. I wasn't sure what to expect but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kitty was 47 when her mother died and the story starts on the day of her mother's death. Kitty grew up in a wonderful loving home and felt valued and cherished, but she rejected her families faith. Her final rejection was when her father died while she was in college. She wanted nothing to do with a God that would allow such hurt.

Kitty became a feminist and atheist and very successful in her career. She was happy with her life until her mother's death loomed. She loved her mother and didn't want to face that she would never see her again. All of a sudden it became very important to her to find out if the faith of her family was true.

This story is her journey to truth. It is exciting to see her perseverance in the search and commitment to truth, not just what would make her feel better. She found the faith of her mother and loved the new life it provided.

A couple of examples of the change in her new life are:

"... a dramatic reduction in that fundamental fear situations which once sent me into a panic barely ruffle me know. It's almost like He's turned me into an entirely new creature."

In speaking of the absence of the anger that had been such a reality in her life, she said:

"Later I would read in Phil. 4 about 'the peace of God, that passes all understanding.' It was like that: peace that I hadn't felt since I was a little kid, before I knew the heartbreaks and fears and humiliations that can happen in this world. The sort of peace that you feel when you know someone much bigger than you is in total control, loves you to pieces, and will take care of you always."

I finished this book feeling thankful for my God who is in control and, amazingly, love me to pieces, and will take care of me.

Thank you Kitty for your new faith and it's encouragement to me.

No comments: