Saturday, November 08, 2008

Soul Connection

A friend recently gave me Gordon MacDonald's book, "The Life God Blesses." I haven't read much of his work, I always thought he wrote mostly to pastors and church leaders, but I am enjoying this book. He is an honest, wise and godly man.
He shares some reflections from Bertrand Russell as his wife was dying and I find the thoughts lingering in my mind.

"... the sense of the solitude of each human soul suddenly overwhelmed me...the loneliness of the human soul is unendurable; nothing can penetrate it except the highest intensity of the sort of love that religious teachers have preached; whatever does not spring from this motive is harmful, or at best useless...in human relations one should penetrate to the core of loneliness in each person and speak to that."

What a difference it would make in our lives and relationships if we related to others like this.

I had breakfast with a friend recently and she started out by asking me how I was doing. Not with the usual casualness associated with this question. I could tell she wanted to know how I was truly doing. I felt encouraged by her interest and humbled by how often I get together just to talk and don't take time to see how my friend is truly doing.

Since God, the highest intensity of love available, has poured out His love in my heart, through the Holy Spirit I have this love to offer others, and yet so often just don't.

I pray that this truth will change me and the way I relate to all that I come in contact with.

No comments: