Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Home

This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through,
my treasures are laid out somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me from heaven's open doors
and I can't feel at home in this world any more.

We sang this regularly when I was in youth group growing up. It was fun and we belted it out.
Lately this song has been playing in my mind and I must say I'm enjoying it.

Last week Tim and I went to Kennewick, the southeast corner of WA/desert, to check out a ministry possibility. It was hot and windy with lots of sagebrush. Neither of us are desert people although Tim would enjoy the sun. The church isn't very healthy at this time. Do we want to give up the nearness to family and friends and the beauty of the area we now live in? No way! However, what if this is what God has for us. What if He wants to use us to help this church and enjoy Him in the desert? Could this be possible? Could we enjoy and even love this place? Not on our own, but by the power of the indwelling Spirit, yes we could.

The above song was running through my mind during our time there and I took joy in the fact that wherever we are is temporary, not permanent. Heaven is permanent and sure and the beauty we enjoy here won't even compare to it.

I don't know if we will end up in Kennewick or not, but I know we will be able to live and enjoy the temporary home He has planned for us, wherever it may be, because...

This world is not our home...

No comments: