Saturday, September 23, 2006

Heart knowledge

My mom, 85 years old and legally blind, just had knee replacement surgery and they were going to send her to a care home and most likely on to long term care because they didn't think she could live on her own anymore. They didn't take time to get to know her, they just looked at the facts on their profile and made a decision. She got to come home because I went down to be with her for a few days to help her out. They still were very hesitant and thought a care home was a better choice, but let us make the decision. My mom started improving as soon as she was in her own place again.
Why do people make choices based on statistics? Why do we think we can know what's best for others ? I have had others make decisions for me based on what they thought was best, without talking to me and it has hurt greatly. I'm sure I have done the same. It is easier to just make a decision and trust our judgment than to take the time to talk to someone and see who they are and where they are, but it is very prideful.
There is a leader in our church who prides himself on his ability with people, yet, this man isn't willing to get to know others on a heart level and he often misjudges others. He seems to think he knows their motives without ever speaking to them at a heart level. He isn't the only one. I know I have often been guilty of the same thing.

Lord, help me to take time to get to know the hearts of the people you put in my life. Help me to love them and grieve over their foolish choices and to encourage them to wait on You and trust in what You are doing.

Ps. 27:14 Wait on the Lord, be strong and let your heart take courage, yes, wait on the Lord.

No comments: