Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Snow and Ice

The snow was beautiful coming down at work today, however, I didn't know what awaited me on the roads. One of the women from Arizona was a little concerned, she was told that we didn't get snow here. I assured her we don't get much, but we don't know what to do with it so it is a problem when it comes.
We left work early, yea :) My happiness at that only lasted until I started down the hill and noticed that the traffic wasn't moving down the hill. I tried going the back way but a truck had slid and was blocking the road so I went back to the beginning and made the slow crawl down the hill. What should have been a 5 minute drive took an hour, but finally I was off and the roads were clear, for a few moments. It seems the snow was traveling with me. My 1/2 hour drive home took two adrenaline spiked hours, but I made it home. Many ended up sleeping in their cars or walking. I am so grateful for 4 wheel drive.
Of course as a mom I checked with my kids and they all made it home OK so I could relax at home, feeling a little guilty thinking of those in their cars and wondering if my co-workers husband was able to get to her.
My focus through it all was pretty much on me, getting home, wishing I was home. I thanked God often on my trip for 4 wheel drive and for cell phones and for my friend that helped maneuver me down "the hill". She lives up there and is used to it.
Fear, thanksgiving and finally relief, all in such a short period of time. I think it shows how safe my life is that I don't very often experience such things.

No comments: