Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am His Beloved! Amazing!

Why is it so hard for some of us to trust in God's love. Didn't the cross show us the extent of His love?
I have been encouraged by Brennan Manning this week on His love.

He quotes Marjory Kemp, who lived 400 years ago:
"More pleasing to me than all your prayers, sacrifices, and good words is that you would believe that I love you."

Towards the end of the book, The Signature of Jesus, he says:
"I know all your thoughts. I hear all your words. I see all of your actions. And I love you. Do not judge yourself. Do not condemn yourself. Do not reject yourself. Let my love touch the most hidden corners of your heart and reveal to you your beauty, a beauty that you have lost sight of."

I've been reading in Ps. 139 this week and the above quote reinforces what I have been seeing in that Psalm. It is amazing to know that He loves me. It's easy to focus on my weakness and failure and beat myself up about it. But that's me focusing on me, not on God. One more quote speaks to this,

"...my attention must be on Jesus, not on myself. To adore is to be drawn away from my own preoccupations into the presence of Jesus. It means letting go of what I want, desire, or have planned, and fully trusting Jesus and His love." Henry Nouwen

We are told to die to ourselves and if we truly understand and trust in God's love for us this would be a natural thing to do. Oh, Lord, teach me to trust your love and let that me enough for me.

No comments: