Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Performance, or Life

My mom is now in an assisted living situation and I went to see her this weekend. I wanted to encourage her and help her get settled. I came home a bit discouraged though. Mom and I had a good time, but the other residents are very different. I am quite outgoing and met many of them, but had trouble with conversations. A few were hard of hearing or had very strong accents, some just didn't keep on the train of thought. I watched them during dinner and saw people that most of us would just walk quickly by on the street. I thought about what it would be like to know that this was going to be my home for the remainder of my life. It would be hard.
I also watched these people and thought about how much God loves them and the price He paid to for them to know Him. I wonder if they have ever heard of His love and how would I tell them.
Lord if I end my life in such a place, help me to love the people enough to be more concerned about sharing about your love, then about myself.

The book I read this weekend had a great quote. "I am beginning to understand that I came that we may perform well, is not the same as 'I have come that you may have life'.

No comments: