Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sin humbles us, and this is good.

Gary L Thomas is a humble and wise man. I recently found his book "Seeking the face of God" and am working through it. I would recommend it and so does J.I. Packer.
I am sharing here some quotes from his chapter, Holiness and the heart of God, in hopes that it might wet your appetite to read more.

"We must continually apply ourselves anew to loving God."

"Sin is nothing but self-abuse."

"... our passions, as any thoughtful Christian knows, are harder taskmasters than is our god of mercy and grace."

a quote form Fenelon: "..These imperfection's (sin and temptation)which remain in good souls serve to humble them from themselves, to make them feel their own weakness, to make them run more eagerly to thee."

Francis de Sales "Content not yourself with confessing your ... sins, merely as to the fact but accuse yourself of the motive that induced you to commit them."

I must ask myself the right questions to learn why I gave in to sin and to truly repent and turn from it.


"God's ability to use even rebellion for His benefit is one of the more profound realities of His sovereignty and Lordship."

No comments: