Saturday, June 14, 2008

Foolishness and Wisdom

Today as I read in Numbers, Proverbs, and Matthew, they interestingly played off each other. In Numbers I read that the "rabble" were complaining about the good things they had to eat in Egypt. They were tired of manna.

In Matthew, the Pharisees were trying, again, to trick Jesus into saying something they could arrest him for, but of course He didn't. He was much to wise for them. And they, as usual, were more interested in protecting their position and image than paying attention to who this was.

In Proverbs 19:8 it says that "he who gets wisdom loves his own soul."

I find it interesting that I had examples in both testaments of men who were to foolish to love their own souls. Instead they chose to seek outward comfort.

How often do I do that? I am too often content with comfort instead of loving my soul enough to feed it with the wisdom that will truly satisfy it. It reminds me of C.S. Lewis' quote about making mud pies in the slum instead of enjoying a vacation on the seashore. We are too easily amused.

Oh, how I pray that God will not allow me to settle for comfort instead of nourishing my soul.

1 comment:

Jenny Jack said...

Did you read ALL of Numbers, Proverbs and Matthew? Man you are a holy woman;-)...just teasing. Catching up on blog reading this morning...loving your thoughts mama...and you:-).
JJ